Plans for a new Town Hall, offices, flats, a public square and restaurant / café were approved by Crawley Borough Council’s Planning Committee in June 2018.
The proposals for the major redevelopment at the eastern end of The Boulevard would see the current Town Hall demolished and replaced with:
- Up to 182 flats
- A nine-storey building containing a new Town Hall and grade A commercial offices above
- A new public square
- Public realm improvements
- A restaurant / café
- District energy centre
The Town Hall multi-storey car park will remain, but be upgraded under these proposals.
A consultation which took place in July 2017 showed that residents are strongly in favour of these proposals. The results are available here.
The council’s development partner, Westrock, started work to construct 91 flats on the car park to the west of the Town Hall in March 2019. Across both sites, there will be 40 per cent affordable housing units. Its latest newsletter is here.
The new facilities being proposed will transform a major town centre opportunity site while securing the council’s finances through the ability to generate new revenue from commercial office tenants.
A new Town Hall will also provide a better, fit-for-purpose building for customers, staff and councillors and achieve significant savings on the council’s current running costs.
The council will look to incorporate key elements of the existing building in the new Town Hall to retain vital links with the past while preparing for the future.
The current Town Hall will remain the council’s administrative centre until the new building is ready to move into.
- Full Council agrees outline agreement – February 2017
- Public consultation – July 2017
- Planning application submitted – December 2017
- Planning permission granted – June 2018
- Development agreement between Crawley Borough Council and Westrock signed – autumn 2018
- Work to start on the 91 flats to the west of the Town Hall - March 2019
- Demolition of part of the existing Town Hall complex – October 2019
- Construction of the new Town Hall starts – spring 2020
- Completion of Town Hall - late 2021
- Phase one housing complete – summer 2021
- Phase Two housing complete - winter 2022