Please read the latest Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest information and advice from Crawley Borough Council.
- Crawley Borough Council
- Public Realm
Shortly after the end of the First World War in 1921, the local community raised the funds to purchase the land for the Memorial Gardens, so that it could be kept as a public recreation ground, in memory of those who lost their lives during the Great War. The epitaph gates at the top end of the park list those members of the community that lost their lives. The Memorial Gardens are now held in Trust by Crawley Borough Council.
In 2020, the play area was completely redesigned and refurbished to provide 15 pieces of new equipment including a wheelchair swing which was kindly funded by County Mall. The project includes the restoration and rehoming of the Queen’s Mosaic which was previously in Queens Square.
Built in 1891, the bandstand first stood at Gatwick race course. In 1948 it was sold to Crawley Development Corporation for £60.
In 2018, the bandstand was removed from Queens Square, refurbished and relocated in Memorial Gardens where it stands today as a focal point for concerts, events and community use.