Published: 07 December 2021
From: Planning and development
We are seeking views on a planned transport improvement scheme along the western end of The Boulevard as part of the Crawley Growth Programme. This is a £60 million package which will help to unlock jobs, business space and home building in the town.
The Crawley Growth Programme is being delivered by a major partnership of public and private organisations, including:
- The Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership
- West Sussex County Council
- Crawley Borough Council
- Gatwick Airport Limited
- Manor Royal Business Improvement District (BID) Company
The scheme covers the western end of The Boulevard and will deliver better transport facilities and connectivity improvements. It will complete the link from The Boulevard to existing cycle infrastructure on the High Street. The scheme also includes junction improvements. We hope that the Western Boulevard scheme will be attached to the delivery of the Eastern Gateway scheme to minimise disruption.
The estimated cost for implementing the Western Boulevard scheme is £550,000 and will include the following improvements and changes:
- Improved cycle facilities by continuing the segregated cycle tracks on The Boulevard completing the link to the existing cycle infrastructure on the High Street.
- Introduction of a parallel crossing to enable people travelling by foot or by bike to cross The Boulevard more easily and safely and with their own dedicated space.
- Widening the junction to include an additional dedicated bus lane for buses turning right into The Broadway and a lane for ongoing traffic travelling west to east on The Boulevard. This will allow cars to keep moving while the bus turns.
- Modal filters (which allow some types of transport through but not others) applied to two service roads off The Boulevard, improving pedestrian and cyclists’ safety.
- Improved landscaping.
- Quality materials.
We’d like to hear your views on the latest improvements to the town centre. If you’d like to get in contact with us about these proposals please email firstname.lastname@example.org.