Published: 24 January 2018
Crawley Borough Council is supporting the renewal of Manor Royal’s Business Improvement District (BID) for another five years.
The Manor Royal Business District is a fundamental part of Crawley's business and employment and to West Sussex as a whole, contributing 25 per cent of the county’s economic output.
The council’s Cabinet agreed to the BID's proposal to support the renewal and to vote in favour in the ballot at its meeting on 10 January 2018.
Introduced in 2013, the BID is an independent legal body which is responsible for the area of Manor Royal.
As part of the BID, all businesses pay a levy to fund local improvements aimed at enhancing the trading environment.
During its first five years, Manor Royal BID has had a hugely positive impact in Manor Royal; spearheading a huge number of projects including:
- Updating all 23 broadband cabinets to faster fibre-based broadband
- Installing 200 new way-finding signs
- Creating Crawter’s Brook Peoples Park and The Terrace Pocket Park
- Employing two Manor Royal Business Rangers, working day and night to tackle anti-social behaviour and security issues
- Installation of 25 security cameras at strategic locations and monitoring undertaken by Sussex Police
- Creating a new partnership with Crawley Borough Council to undertake grounds maintenance
- Launching a dedicated Manor Royal jobs board
- Major road resurfacing carried out in partnership with West Sussex County Council
If voted through by eligible businesses, the BID will continue its work to further enhance Manor Royal with entrance improvement schemes at Gateway 1 (Hazelwick Flyover junction), close partnership working with both the council and West Sussex County Council delivering the Crawley Growth Programme, offering subsidised training for Manor Royal Business, in partnership with Crawley College.
Manor Royal is the heart of Crawley business and Crawley’s prosperity and the work of the BID has been instrumental in making it the success it is today.Leader of Crawley Borough Council
Councillor Peter Smith
Cabinet Member for Economic Development
Crawley Borough Council
Since its formation, the Manor Royal BID has delivered significant improvements in the business environment and working conditions on the business district, helping the council to deliver decent jobs for local people. By supporting the continuation of the BID, we hope to see Manor Royal go on improving as we work to deliver an economy which works for everyone.
Councillor Peter Lamb
Leader of the council
Crawley borough Council
Over the past few years we have made tremendous progress on improving Manor Royal and the way the Council and BID work together. I know we couldn’t have achieved as much as we have without their backing. We very much hope, with a renewed BID, we can continue that partnership for the benefit of the businesses, visitors and people of Manor Royal.
Manor Royal Business Improvement District
For more information, visit the Manor Royal website.
tags: manor, royal, business, improvement